Thursday, August 12, 2010

Breathtaking Niagara




A week and a half ago, during "intercession" (the 2-3 days we have off between sessions of camp at Harriman), I was blessed to be a part of a road trip adventure with other counselors and staff from Harriman Lodge; destination... Niagara Falls!!! Being the only American on the journey, and also being the only one 25 or older, I was automatically designated as one of the drivers. :) I got to drive a new Chevy Impala the 800 miles or so we went during that trip, hopping on and off the New York Interstate, paying tolls, and finding campsites and destinations along the way. Some of the most memorable moments were:

1) Standing in front of a fish hatchery (which took explaining to the Brits who had never heard of such a thing) and reading a ridiculous monument in Rome, New York documenting the first cheese factory in the U.S.

2) All of the side road we took to make it to cities such as Liverpool, Rome, Warsaw, and Sheffield just so the Brits and Pols could feel at home. :)

3) Camping. Never have I been so thankful for my family camping background, and especially my dad who took us all out wilderness camping. Many/most of the 14 people on our trip had never been camping before, so when the rains came and fire needed to be started, I soon found myself one of the camp organizers! :) My favorite part was cutting and peeling roasting sticks, gathering the hot dogs and marshmallows for s'mores, and one of the girls looking at it saying "I'm suppose to cook my food on THIS?". It was AWESOME! :) I laughed so hard. Needless to say, everyone LOVED the s'mores and campfire food and we had an AMAZING camping experience despite heavy rains and waking up in pools of water one morning. :)

However, apart from all the amazing music, car time, conversations, food, and experiences, I have to say that standing at the foot of Niagara Falls was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. To hear the rush of thousands of tons of water crashing into the river, feel the spray of thick mist that covered the bottom of the waterfall, and be able to yell and hardly be heard... all I could to was sing...

"Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the worlds thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder. Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Then sings my soul, my savior God to Thee. How great Thou art, how great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, my savior God to Thee. How great Thou art. How great Thou art."

And then, as I stood there at the bottom of the falls singing, all I could think of was the verse In Luke 19 where Jesus said "Even the stones will cry out" if man ceases to cry out in praise to Him. As I thought of all the people who walk through life nonchalantly thinking about God, neglecting to praise Him, the roar of this enormous waterfall was most certainly creation crying out in lack of that praise. And how amazing for me to be able to join in, in a simple chorus of "How Great Thou Art." Wow.

I am SO thankful for this season of life in New York. I couldn't imagine a better place for me to be right now. It wasn't what I initially thought or wanted. I miss my Minnesota friends and family terribly, but honestly, there is no place I would rather be because I know and believe without a shadow of a doubt that this is where God desires me to be right now. Love and hugs to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment