Friday, March 2, 2012

"...And He Will Give You the Desires of Your Heart."

Psalm 37:4

"Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

Whenever I've heard this verse quoted or used in a devotional setting, it's always been regarding relationships; waiting for your "Mr. or Mrs. Right", trusting God to deliver your desire for a husband or wife. While I think this interpretation of scripture is very relevant, I think His promise to fulfill our desires is even more than that. Not only does He first of all, fill us with more of Himself as we delight in Him, but He grants us beautiful, simple gifts along the way. The way plants roses along our path, just to brighten our day, or sends us that song on the radio at just the right moment when we needed it. The breathtaking view of a sunset, or hug from a friend we haven't seen in years, I LOVE the way He loves us.

I have tears in my eyes as I write to you the testimony of how God has unashamedly, completely, and unreservedly poured out His love upon me and brought about the desires of my heart. They were desires I scarcely hoped to think could come true as I returned with Mercy Ships in 2012, yet God knew even this small desire by name. This desire included the name of a very special boy: Abel Dalome.

2010...



You can look up Abel's story on youtube (searching Mercy Ships, Abel) and see the story unfold of a boy who developed backward legs from his muscles being damaged as a young boy, and his bones outgrowing his muscles. He came onboard the Africa Mercy for orthopedic surgery in 2010 where I met him. I first met Abel in A Ward- he was in bed A5; I still remember it to this day, on bedrest due to an infection in his surgical sites. I remember seeing him in A5 looking so sad and dejected, that I promised myself that very day, that I would come and visit him and get at least one smile out of him every day. So, our friendship began.


I soon got to know him and his gentle and caring father, who stayed by his side every moment. After Abel's infection cleared and he was allowed to walk with bilateral casts and crutches, he and his father moved from A Ward to the Hospitality Center (now called the Hope Center) where they stayed between each of Abel's surgeries. I visited him and his father often, and we had more djembe/dancing parties, cast-coloring parties, and good old tickling and laughter parties than I can count. The love that grew in my heart for that boy was more than I could have thought possible. Indeed, when it was time for me to leave in May and come back home to Minnesota, it was only days before another of Abel's surgeries. Tears streamed down my face as I said goodbye to the father and son who I didn't know if I would ever see again. "I pray to Jesus that I will be able to see you again someday, but if not, then in heaven" I told him.


2012...


When I arrived into the Lome' Airport this year in 2012, the one patient my heart wished I could see more than any other one was Abel. I knew my chances of finding him and visiting him in his home were slim as even my Togolese friends didn't know the exact area he lived. It was a LONG shot, pretty near impossible, and I knew it.

And then, I heard Abel and his father were due to come to the ship on Thursday (yesterday) for a follow-up appointment from his 2010 surgery. I was standing in the dining room around 10:30pm when my friend Laura C told me, and I literally SCREAMED and jumped up and down in the dining room with excitement! Apparently, Abel and his father were suppose to have come to the ship the Friday after I came home from Ghana, but he and his father didn't show up. I changed my work schedule to have Thursday off, and then prayed, against hope, that Abel would come Thursday.

Thursday morning came, then afternoon. Phone call after phone call tracked Abel and his father on the long journey from their home up North, to the Port of Lome! I was breathless with excitement! Impatiently, I waited outside the ship, in our patient tents, to be the first to catch sight of him. Finally, around 4:30pm, the Mercy Ships landrover came into the port filled with a smiling Abel and his father. As I waved like a giddy, excited schoolgirl, I saw the look of recognition as Abel's face lit up like a Christmas tree and I saw him point towards me and mouth the word, "ANNA!"
It was all I could to to keep my heart from bursting at that very moment! The reunion that followed was more joyful then I could have imagined. This boy, I never knew if I would see again, was now in my arms, free of casts and crutches!


Abel visited with JoAnn, our head physiotherapist and friend of both Abel and I from 2010, and then came on the ship for some follow-up X-rays. Like Abel's shadow, I followed along, thankful for every moment with my boy. I left to have dinner with an old translator friend from 2010, and then met Abel and his father at the Hope Center later that night.


It was a sweet reunion. I didn't know my heart could feel so full and overflow with SO much joy!!! Oh, the tears it brings to my eyes! My boy was here and I just knew it was, in part, a gift straight from God. The desire I had scarcely hoped to even think of, had come true.

I was overwhelmed with God's love and mercy on me... an imperfect child of His, to whom He chose to give a most precious gift. He is SO good to me, I can only speak to His glory and love!



Abel's legs are healing well, his right knee looking good, with some bone shifting in his left leg. He still cannot bend his knees, but certainly does not consider it a handicap as he continues to run and play soccer! He is now attending school which his Father is very diligent he attend, and is speaking French with a voice that is beginning to change like many 13 year old boys. He still has one of the most beautiful smiles that will light up an entire room, and a kind heart. His Father asked for continual prayer for him as he looks ahead to his future.

This evening, I visited him one last time at the Hope Center and we got to play a little soccer and then have a worship service together singing many Togolese worship (gospel) songs. My last few moments with Abel and his father I will never forget. I held out my hand to the 13 year old boy, who sheepishly returned the offer with a light, fingertip hold. We slowly walked together to the Mercy Ships landrover in the cool of the night, the half-moon a hazy glow above us through the clouds in the sky. I marveled at the grace and abundance of God to have given us such a gift of this reunion. I can still hardly believe it actually happened as I am now heading to bed for the night, the final goodbye wave of Abel and his papa still fresh in my mind. All I can think is, "God, how awesome you are. Thank you for the gift of fulfilling this desire that was on my heart."

1 comment:

  1. When I was reading your story of Abel and what God did in these moments, tears filled my eyes.
    Love u Anna

    ReplyDelete